Like most educational institutions, the majority of international students enrolled at Pacific Oaks College (POC) are in F-1 (nonimmigrant student) status. Some international students may hold other immigration statuses that allow them to study as well (i.e., H1-B, L-2, E-2).

The Center for Academic Achievement, Resources and Enrichment (CARE) seeks to support all current and prospective international students at POC. However, international students should be advised that CARE directs the majority of its immigration advice to those students in F-1 status. International students who do not hold F-1 status should contact CARE with any immigration questions you may have about your status. The CARE staff will seek to provide you with additional guidance or refer you to an immigration attorney, as needed.

*Note: All students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are considered international students by Pacific Oaks College.


It is very important for international students to maintain their immigration status at all times. CARE is here to advise you and help you better understand the immigration regulations governing your status, but it is your responsibility to maintain your status.

Failure to maintain the terms and conditions of your nonimmigrant status is grounds for removal (deportation) from the United States.

Staying In Status Overview

For more information, select one of the links below:

  • Employment Matters: An overview of the limits of working on- and off-campus, including information about Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN).
  • Travel and Re-Entry: An overview of the things F-1 students need to be mindful of when traveling outside the United States.
  • Full-Time Enrollment Requirement and Exceptions: An overview of the immigration regulations pertaining to enrollment requirements and exceptions for F-1 students.
  • Tax Information: Guidance for international students about filing U.S. taxes.